Step 2 - Get Financial Help

With the new Los Rios Promise, all first-time students who complete a FAFSA (or California Dream Act application) and enroll full time (minimum of 12 units) are eligible for free tuition.

In addition to the Los Rios Promise, there are several other ways to get financial assistance if you need help paying for college. You may qualify for thousands of dollars in aid from federal, state, and private resources. Types of financial aid include fee waivers, grants, scholarships, and loans.

Federal aid

The first step is to apply for financial aid by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can learn more about the FAFSA or get started immediately.

Though undocumented students cannot apply for aid through the FAFSA, they may be eligible for state financial aid through the California Dream Act. Learn more about the California Dream Act or complete your application.

California residents

The California College Promise Grant (formerly known as the BOG Fee Waiver) is just for California community college students and does not have to be repaid. It waives enrollment fees but does not cover the cost of books or other expenses.

Financial aid checklist

✓ Fill out FAFSA (US citizens or permanent residents only). Apply as early as October 1 of the year before you plan to take classes. Applications are due by March 1.* Learn more about FAFSA or start your application.
✓ If you are not a US citizen or permanent US resident, then fill out a California Dream Act Application. Apply by March 2.* Learn more about the California Dream Act or start your application.
✓ Apply for California College Promise Grant (formerly BOG Fee Waiver). Applications become available in April prior to the start of each school year. Learn more about the California College Promise Grant or start your application.

* You can submit the FAFSA or the CA Dream Act Application after this date, but priority is given on a first-come, first-served basis. You may not be considered for a Cal Grant (state financial aid) if you submit your application after this date.